It’s February…so it’s difficult to ignore Valentine’s Day and the focus on romantic love. Which is great…if you’re feeling loveable and loving, right? But if you’re feeling disconnected and unfulfilled in your romantic relationship, Valentine’s Day might be a celebration you’d rather skip.
I’ve been there…I get it…and it’s okay. If you’re just not feelin’ the love right now, honor your feelings and know that they may change over time. Respect yourself and your partner and be honest about not wanting to force a celebration that doesn’t feel authentic for your relationship right now.
The beautiful thing about love is that it’s inspired by all sorts of different connections, including your relationship with yourself. And the more you cultivate a relationship of love, appreciation and respect for yourself, the more ways you’ll find to celebrate love in ALL areas of your life.
So I’d like to share some uplifting ideas about ways to celebrate love other than romantically.
As quoted by Buddha: “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” With that in mind, let’s explore some of the things you love about life, so that you can begin to feel more of the love and affection you deserve.
Sound good? Below is a powerful exercise that I encourage you complete over the next week. Reading helpful tips is a great start, but the real shifts take place when you apply them! This is an excellent way to begin taking steps toward increasing the quality of your relationship with yourself.
- Write down 10 things that you really enjoy and love having in your life. They can could be as simple as reading healthy tips from A Healthy Path to Love 🙂, or as profound as a deep connection with a close friend.
- Now, for each of those 10 items, write down 2 or 3 reasons why you enjoy them. Do they:
- Inspire and encourage you?
- Help you feel alive and valued?
- Give you a sense of safety and trust?
- By completing the exercise up to this point, you can start to connect to a sense of appreciation for the numerous ways love shows up in your life. And you might even find a connection between the ‘whys’.
- Now take those feelings, invite them to expand within your heart and allow yourself to feel this amazing gift of love! Stay present to those feelings as long as you can…and repeat as often as possible.
Even when a significant relationship in your life is not going the way you want it to, you still have the power to tap into a feeling of love and appreciation for what IS going well. There are endless opportunities to connect with the various sources of love in your everyday life.
The more you adopt this as a conscious practice, the more it will become your natural mindset. It may not be easy at first…but practice makes progress!
When you feel love in your life (from whatever the source may be), you have more power, peace and strength to support you through painful times. So let’s use this month to celebrate the amazing person you are and the love that is all around you.
If you and your romantic partner happen to be doing really well right now, and can’t wait to celebrate your love for one another, go for it! And always remember that you don’t have to wait for a designated holiday to do so.
Stay tuned for more mindful messages. Giving you helpful tips and exercises to improve the quality of your life and relationships!
With love and support,
Healthy Relationship Coach
P.S. If you know of someone who could use some extra love this month, please share this message with them by using the platform of your choice below. You might just brighten their day.